Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Things that go bump on your side

Well, I suppose if I'm going to write about mood lights and dogs wearing cones, I may as well write about the lump.

It all began a couple of months ago when I noticed that if I slouched in my office chair and leaned on its arm, my side would hurt. I didn't think much of it. I reported it to my doc during my annual, and she said to quit slouching. Good answer!

Then a couple of weeks ago, my breast became quite sore. (This, I determined, was just another good reason to avoid underwire! )

And then last week I discovered a lump in my breast. Maybe the size of a grape. And if I poke it, it HURTS. (actually, by the time I found the lump, my whole left side hurt even when I was standing still.)

So I called my doc, who very kindly made room for me that afternoon, and then poked and prodded while talking about the virtues of goldendoodles. She figures it's fibrocystic and tells me to avoid underwires and things that make it hurt, and to come back in a month or so when things aren't so sore.

And so it did settle down a bit and now I can poke and prod the lump, which feels smaller, without gasping.

But I still have a very sore spot on my side. It's only a few inches from where the lump was, so I am guessing they are somehow related.

No comments: